Dad’s Extra Stamford

Recreation

Chestnut Hill Park
Six-acre park with a picnic area, ball field, playground and rest rooms.

Cove Island Park – Chestnut Hill Road and Webbs Road
83 acres with beach swimming, fishing, ice skating rink, marina, tennis, playing fields, picnicking, concessions, rest rooms.

Cummings Park – Shippan Avenue
79 acres with beach swimming, fishing, tennis, playground, etc.

Dorothy Heroy Recreation Complex – Riding Stable Trail (off High Ridge Road)
Over 15 acres including outdoor pool, basketball, sports fields, tennis, rest rooms.

E. Gaynor Brennan Municipal Golf Course – 451 Stillwater Avenue

Mianus River Park and Glen – Westover Road
187 acres with nature trails and fishing.

Sterling Farms Park/Municipal Golf Course – 1349 Newfield Avenue
128 acres with an 18-hole golf course, putting green, driving range and tennis.

Bartlett Arboretum – 151 Brookdale Road
63 Acres owned by the University of Connecticut. Trails, woodlands, lectures and guided tours.

Stamford Museum and Nature Center – 39 Scofieldtown Road
Visit a small New England farm with barnyard animals. Nature trails, playground, concession and seasonal events

Volunteer Services
Meals on wheels, United Way, American Red Cross, Visiting Nurse & Hospice Care, AmeriCares Foundation Inc., Stamford Historical Society

Transportation
Metro North Commuter Railway express to New York City (45 minutes). Amtrak to major cities in the U.S. and Canada. Driving: I-95 and Merritt Parkway, 50 minutes to New York, 50 minutes to New Haven. Public Transportation: CT Transit, Greyhound Bus, taxis, seniorsí van, limousine service to airports.

Accommodations

  • Grand Chalet Inn & Suites 203-357-7100
  • Holiday Inn Select 203-358-8400
  • La Quinta Inn and Suites Stamford 203-357-7100
  • Shippan Point Inn 203-323-1910
  • Sheraton Stamford Hotel 203-359-1300
  • Stamford Marriott 203-357-9555
  • The Stamford Westin 203-967-2222
  • Super 8 Motel 203-324-8887

Historical Sites

  • Hoyt-Barnum House:
    c.1699 farmhouse depicts Stamford’s puritan past through the inventory of Samuel Hoyt, blacksmith who died in 1738. It is a National Historic Landmark which is now owned and operated by the Stamford Historical Society√Ė The Society is housed in a building of local stone that was designed as a schoolhouse and built in 1913/14. The building was converted for museum and library use in 1984.
  • Old Town Hall:
    c.1905, on Atlantic Street.
  • Holley House:
    c.1792 located at Cove Island City Park.
  • Oliver Street Bridge:
    c.1887 is an iron lenticular truss bridge by Berlin Iron Bridge Company.